The total number of Nigerians that were registered to be moved was 1,004 persons. As at Tuesday last week, 187 registered persons were to be evacuated but the exercise was delayed by South Africa as the Landing permit for Air Peace aircraft was not granted.
“We did not take off by 1 am as scheduled because South African authorities had yet to give us a landing permit. We are hopeful that they will give us the permit. ”Our crew waited till 3 am, but when the permit did not come, they went back to the hotel. Once we get the permit, we will set off to South Africa. We don’t want to speculate, but we are hopeful they will give the permit.”
Not less than 320 Nigerian citizens were supposed to be moved on Wednesday but some who registered for the evacuation failed to be present, said Consular
He said, “We have been working since 6 am when I got here (consulate). I have not sat down. We have
320 coming back tomorrow(Wednesday). Some people who are supposed to be on the flight, when you call their names, they are not here. We have registered 1,004 persons. When these ones go, we will still have people on the ground.”
The members of the House of assembly hailed the Chairman of Air Peace, Allen Onyema for evacuating Nigerians from South Africa over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other African citizens.